This One Trick Will Cure Your Itchy Scalp When Wearing Braids
Ok.Ok. I hear you. You just had braids installed and they itch from here to heaven. And you’re sure it’s not just you. The braids are definitely not too tight and your scalp is well cared for. So why the itch, flakiness and small white bumps? I can explain. See, the thing is, companies that manufacture synthetic braids, use an alkaline base to prevent the braids from burning or clumping together. Chances are, that you are having an allergic reaction to the alkaline in the synthetic braids. Don’t take them down just yet! There is a tried and true method that many women have used to prevent this from happening and to cure it. Here’s what I want you to do.
You will need:
1 ½ cup of Apple Cider Vinegar or White vinegar.
A medium to large bowl/wash basin.
Before installing the braids:
1. Pour the vinegar into the basin.
2. Fill the rest of the basin with water.
3. Take out your packs of braids out of the packet and insert into the Vinegar/Water mixture.
4. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes. You can leave them in for longer if you want to be sure that the alkaline is completely washed off.
5. Remove the braids and rinse thoroughly. There. Down the drain goes all your worries and pain.
6. Squeeze excess water from the hair, dry and install the braids like the superstar you are. Go on. Be great.
If you’ve installed the braids:
1. Pour the vinegar into a jug.
2. Add hot water to fill the rest of the jug.
3. Pour this mixture over your braids and scalp. (Just make sure not to get some into your eyes. Ouch!)
4. Let your hair sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Or longer if you want to be sure that all the alkaline is gone.
5. Rinse the braids and dry and voila! Sweet sweet relief.
The next time you experience a wild, itchy scalp from nowhere, try the above method and you will be alright. If you do try it, leave a comment below and tell us how it went for you!
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at [email protected]