By Black Hair Hub | Feb 20, 2019
Knowledge is power and we’re always looking to meet and feature experts in African hair to educate ourselves and pass on our notes to you through the BlackHairHub. Today, we’re still reeling in from the excitement of our little tête-à-tête with Afro Stylist of the Year, 2018, the very charming Rick Roberts. And even in our brief interaction with him, one thing emerged clear – the passion he has for his work. Just like a magician, he can transform your hair from zero to hero! So read on to find out what really makes Rick tick!
1. As an Afro Hair Stylist Do You Have Any Signature Styles?
Rick: I love to play with texture. I always love to create a big beautiful Afros in all my collections.
2. What are the Main Textured Hair Styles People Are Asking You For In The Salon?
Rick: People like their hair short. I’m trying to get my clients to celebrate their natural hair and learn how to control and maintain it well.
3. Where do you get your inspiration from? Which countries do you look to?
Rick: I love African tribes. They inspire me with my collections. Movies inspire me as well. My winning Afro collection was based on Black Panther as I love the hairstyles and the modern twist to tribal hair. I do try to put my own twist on things.
4. Which celebrities are you most inspired by?
Rick: I don’t usually get inspired by celebrities. I get inspired by people around me.
Especially, hairstylists and models. If I had to choose two, it would be Cardi B. as she celebrates different hairstyles and Beyoncé as she always looks beautiful.
5. What are your favourite haircare tips for Naturalistas?
Rick: Condition! Condition! Condition!
6. What does it mean to you to win such a prestigious award – ‘Afro Stylist of the Year 2018?
Rick: Mind blowing and very surreal because I won best stylist and then another award on the same night itself. It gives you encouragement to carry on, trying to inspire.
7. Why do you enter hairstyle competitions?
Rick: I love to enter competitions. It gives you a source of accomplishment seeing your work up on the big screen. It is like a writer – they put their ideas on paper and then get it published so people can enjoy their work. I’m very much the same.
8. 3 hair products every curl girl should have in their bathroom cabinet?
Rick: Deep conditioner and oil. My friend Charlotte Mensah has the Manketti hair oil range which is simply amazing. Also, a curl defining cream is essential.
9. What makes a top hairstylist? Tips for how to get there?
Rick: Never give up and take all the advice you can as it can only make you better. Also get yourself out there, push yourself and never say you cannot do it because you can.
10. What are some changes you have seen in hairstyling during the span of your career?
Rick: We have seen changes in all hair types. Stylists are being a little more free and trying new ideas letting hair move.
11. What has been the most memorable moment of your career to date?
Rick: Winning Afro Stylist of the Year 2018 also winning Lʼoréal Colour Trophy Afro Stylist.
12. What tips would you give someone who wants big, beautiful hair?
Rick: Just do it! Lift from the roots first and work to the ends.
13. How do you keep updated on the latest hair trends?
Rick: Keep your eyes open. If you see an idea, take a picture of it or put your ideas down in the notes in your phone make a file of ideas like you would on a mood board.
14. Can you tell us about your creative work process? Do you have any rules?
Rick: I plan the beginning, the middle and the end. Everything else in the middle is your creativity but make sure you make mood board for shoots so you can go look back at them and pin them up in the studio – but most of all have fun and believe in yourself!
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at [email protected]
Jun 11, 2020
May 18, 2020
Apr 30, 2020
Sign up for our newsletter and get notified when we upload a new article.