Black Hair Hub is collaborating with Africa’s leading style and beauty platform – (That’s us !) for a content series you’ll love. To follow the series and experience more great content, visit Black Hair Hub.
Locs is one of pop culture’s most loved hairstyles! They are rope like strands/twists that are allowed to form on the hair naturally without allowing any comb through the hair for a period of time or manually loc’ing the hair by coiling, twisting or palm rolling. The best thing about the style is that it allows a variety of styling options and as long as you know how to properly maintain it, your locs will always look chic and stylish!
If you’ve ever wanted to rock this statement-making look, read on for how to grow and maintain locs.
How to Loc your Hair by Transitioning
1. Wash and dry your hair. Then put your hair away for a few months.
2. Leave it unwashed the first week. When you finally wash, try ProfectiV Stimulating Shampoo, it repairs breakage, split-ends, and
3. Regularly wax and roll strands of hair with your palm rolling to tighten them up. You may have to do this every week or so when your
dreads are in their early stages.
It’s best to form a treatment regime with a conditioning spray/ conditioner, salt water spray and natural hair products for daily grooming.
Other tips are;
1. Constant dread balling which is basically taking care of loose hair at the roots or on the body of a dread – you can use a Loose Hair Tool or a Lock Sculpta for this.
2. Sleep with a headscarf on
3. Head massages for at least 5-10 minutes daily before going to sleep; this stimulates your hair follicles for growth.
Now that you know all you need to about locs, it’s time to go forth and rock them!